Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Exterior Paint

Hi everyone,
I get asked a lot about the paint that I recommend for doing exterior siding, and what primer do I prefer for spot priming & jobs were the siding is in rough shape.The paint that I have been using for some time now and has never let me down is Sherwin-Williams Duration exterior. In my opinion it is the best paint on the market today for getting a beautiful finish in just one coat. it is durable and gives you many years of protection for your home. The sheen I prefer to use on both my siding and my trim projects is Satin.
It's scrub able and it holds up well to power washing(a topic we will cover in a blog post shortly).
To sum it up I believe that Duration topcoat will give you the best bang for you buck.

As for priming I believe that this is a step that most homeowners skip because of misinformation,
but this may be the most important step to insure a beautiful finish and many years of protection.
Sherwin-Williams sells a great primer called ProBlock. that will do a great job  it can be used on both
Interior & Exterior projects with equally great results.
When the home you are working on is much older and in rough shape with a lot of peeling paint then the primer I prefer to use is Peel Bond. What it does is build up a strong bond with the substrate that your working with to provide a perfect sealer to your topcoat. If you are spot priming you can build up layers to make the feathering out much easier and the imperfections on the surface less noticeable and provide you with a much better finish in the end.

Keep these two products in mind when you are tackling you next exterior paint job and you'll be very happy with your results.

No comments:

Post a Comment